Tuesday, March 21, 2017

At the range with my Prevail practicing working on:
  • not dropping the bow after a shot until I have clearly heard my arrow hit the target
  • keeping my elbow back not creeping and 
  • following through
I was feeling good shooting well and felt like I was making progress. I shoot 96 arrows tonight.

Lesley who had also been shooting called over - she had seen some things I could change in order to improve my shooting. She had videoed me and showed me myself and told me the following.
  • To set my grip then preload the bow by applying a little pressure on the string to hold the bow against my hand so the my drip did not change as I raised it, draw back and shoot.
  • To level the bow by keeping my eye on the target through the scope even before the peek was in play
  • To get my back tension as I am getting into my anchor point not as a separate move after I anchor
She said there were more things we will work on but that these will be a good start. We discussed various points of each and she had me stood while she watched. After a few attempts she said I was doing better and to work on this and that she would be back.

As I continued to shoot and work on making theses changes my arrows were now all glong left and a bit high which was great because that is something I could fix by changing my sight. On all three of the Vegas target spots I was shooting around the area that would be between the 10 & 11 o'clock of a clock. I did not adjust the sight because I wanted to see if I could remain consistent and I did for a dozen arrows. As long as I was able to maintain focus and do what Lesley recommended I was shooting consistently which was fantastic. Inconsistency has been the bane of my archery progress. I know there is more I will need to work on and improve but this is progress.

At this point I started adjusting my sight, three clicks up and three clicks left. It only took two or three adjustments in elevation to get the down to the 9 o'clock level but at 38 clicks left I was just a little over half way to the 12 o'clock line and I had run out of adjustment on my sight. So I centered the left/right adjustment of the sight and moved the bar of the scope and started over. The last arrow I was able to shoot for the night was a dead center bullseye.  I hope the sight is right but since I was not able to shoot more, I will have to find out Wednesday.

I continued to work on all of the six items above and as long as I did focus and execute my arrows were consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment