Sunday, February 12, 2017

My first 3D shoot

Today I shot my first 3D shoot. It was at the Tar River Archery Club.
I had a good time but I was not prepared for the shoot but I decided to do it anyway. My Podium which is my 3D bow had only been sighted to at 20 yards. So having been told that they have a range I went planning to get a mark for 40 yards and then to put a tape on my scope which matched the 20 and 40 yard marks. Since I was planning to shoot know 45 I thought this would be OK.

I got the mark but only after missing the target one time and sinking my arrow into a tree.  I was not able to get it out without damaging one of my Easton Full Bore arrows.
I dropped off my quiver at my car and just took my SweetSeat stool and what I thought I might need from the quiver. Turned out to be a good idea - running around in the woods with the quiver would have been annoying.

I thought my tape was pretty good because my first shoot was a 10 and a felt I hit what I aimed.  Must have just been a luck shot because everything else for a while was low and to the right.  I kept trying to figure out how to adjust the yardages I was seeing in my range finder with what I was dialing in on my scope. I shot 4 misses losing two more Full Bore arrows, a number of fives destroying another arrow on one of those when I shot the target in the leg and must have hit the steel support - it drove the arrow head down into the shaft. I shot several 10s and two 12s. By the 17 target I had figured out how to set my sight and got the left to right adjusted and for the next four targets I hit right where I was aiming. This was when I got my two 12 and two of my tens, last one on the bonus round. I think I shot a 118 which is pretty poor out of 240. I was told that most folks feel they did well if they broke 200 so that is my goal. I have to learn how to shoot down hill and up hill. I forgot to photograph my score card - I really meant to.

It got pretty warm, was 83ยบ I was told. I even got a tiny bit sunburned. There was some wind but more would have felt better, when we were out of the trees there was a lot of wind. By about target 15 I was pretty worn out, hot and tired. It was a hilly course but at least most of the steep hills were in the first half. I got some water around target 16 and over the next couple of targets drinking the water help me and I felt better also it may have cooled off a bit.

There is another one next Sunday and I will most likely go but only if I can get my bow sighted in also I plan to switch to Fat-Boys and/or WhiteOut arrows, may take both.

The SweetSeat worked well and is pretty comfortable. I have moved the quiver tubes to the right side and will likely remove the backpack straps since I only used the shoulder strap today. I have installed an AEE Lube Tube on the quiver tubes - I hope it works and stays put, I have gotten a belt and small bag to carry the tools I would like to have. This along with the stool will work well I believe.

I had no trouble carrying the bow so I plan no changes there. I do plan to do what it take to get the sight working perfectly before I go out again. I will set it up for the Easton Fat-Boys then find out how I have to aim to use the WhiteOuts.

I wore my 5-finger today which were OK but I think boots would be a better idea. I will try the boots I got from Jim - I like them but they have always given a blister on my right big toe - I will try a band-aid there and see if that helps.

In the insulated area of the SweetSeat I will have two 20oz pre-chilled Diet Dews and a bottle of water frozen solid. - I think that should cover me for the shoot. When it gets hot I may try taking one of my CamelBaks half frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment