Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sight Tapes - accurate and verified.

Hired John from First Flight to teach me to make sight tapes for my outdoor target bow, the blue Prevail and my 3D bow, the red Podium. I wanted to be able to create the tapes, mount them and then test them. This is what we did.
For the blue Prevail he used a long tape measure he owns to get exact distances from the target. With the half yard error that is possible in rangefinders this makes sense. I would not have thought of this. We shot at 20 yards adjusting my sight until I was shooting an inside the Proline group on a target one size small than what I would be shooting at a field event. We recorded the analog number from the scale on the sight.
Then move to 30 yards using the old tape to guesstimate the yardage but here we were just making sure I would hit the target. We repeated this out to 70 yards then we worked with adjusting the sight until I was shooting an inside the proline group again on a target two sizes smaller than I would be shooting at a field shoot at that yardage. We recorded the analog number from the scale on the sight.
At most of the yardages I was checking the distance with my range finder, it was alway close but a little different.
We then measured the distance from my pep to my sight on Johns draw-board also the height of the pep above the arrow. We measured the draw weight of the bow, it was in the 48 pound range which surprised me I thought it was 50 plus a little. We then plugged all the numbers into Archers Advantage and printed a tape. Applied the tape to my sight and went out to 20 yards to test the tape, it worked well, we then shoot an arrow at 10 yard interdentals and each range was correct all the way out to 70 yards. The tape goes out to 110 yards and should I ever get the chance I believe it would work at those ranges also and if I get the chance I will try.
We did more or less the same thing with the 3D bow except we used my rangefinder to measure the distances instead of the tape because that is what I will be using at a 3D event. We did shoot out to 60 yards because I will not likely have to go over 45 yards for the near future at 3D and it was getting a bit windy and my Full Bore arrows get blown around pretty easily. When testing we tested at 20 yards then John said pick an 3D target, he has over a dozen in the woods at the back of his property, so I picked a javelina and ranged it at 20.1 yards, set the scope to 20 yards and center shoot the 10 ring. We then jumped back to 45 yards and shot the target. John again said pick an 3D target so I picked a dark brown bear and ranged it at 40.3 yards, set the scope to 40 yards and shoot the 10 ring just a tiny bit high and right of center.
For the first time I believe I can trust my sight tapes. This has caused me so much frustration for the last couple of months. I was about ready to give up on 3D and field archery because it just not fun when you cannot trust your sight. Being able to shoot the marks then make a tape and test it is so much better then what I have been trying to do.
I must admit I am looking forward to shooting both bows where I can use my new accurate and verified tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment