Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Indoor Early Bird Shoot - Bull Run Archery

Got up and hit the road for 7:30 AM to shoot The Indoor Early Bird Shoot at Bull Run Archery in Centreville VA. The building must have 'Time Lord' technology because it is bigger on the inside. When I arrived and looked at the building I thought no way could there be an archery range in the. When I went inside I was directed to go downstairs and sure enough there is an archery range in there downstairs and it is much larger than the building above. It is a nice range but could use better lighting and more room for archery's with bow and the spectators. Also they have a very none standard clock. It took me a while to figure it out and on my second end I almost ran out of time having to hurry my last arrow getting it off with one second showing but I did manage to shoot a nine at least in spite of rushing. The clock starts with a display of 210 which looks like two hundred and ten seconds but it is two minutes and ten seconds. Normally clocks display 10 seconds to approach the line this display 120 seconds. This clock starts with 210 and after it counts down the 10 seconds to approach the line goes to 159 - one minutes and 59 seconds. There is nothing wrong with this except it is not normally done this way and was confusing to me.

I shoot well and had a good time the folks I was shoot with this time were some what annoying which is unusual I am normally comfortable with other archers, may be it was me. I did however make myself ignore the unpleasantness I felt and focused on my shooting and my routine. I had changed my D-loop to a torque less D loop and I like it but it does make the bow feel a bit different. I had to make major changes to my sight elevation and it seemed like I had to change my anchor, not completely sure about that but my anchor does feel different when I am sighting the target. I am not making excuses for not shooting as well as I wanted just commenting on changes I noticed.

I did not make my goal of breaking 280 which I need to get my JOAD Olympic Bronze pin. I was close in the second round and was shoot well until the 9th end. I am puzzled by my scores that end. All my shots felt good and correct but the first much to my surprise was high and in the 8 ring. with one end to go this sealed my fate this tournament.

I have reread "With Winning in Mind" and working on applying those techniques which did help me. I will continue to work with them. Also I have bought and am reading "Finding Your Zone" due to a suggestion from the archer Lexi Keller.

I will be at it again next weekend at Turkey Shoot at Boneyard Archery in Madison NC. My goal is to shoot 300. May goal is to earn my JOAD Olympic Bronze pin. I will work this coming week at practice to settle my shooting down and get to shooting inter tens with every arrow.

Turns out I won the Master 60 plus division, this cam in the mail 11-14-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment