Thursday, November 16, 2017

Shot this at the league at First Flight

Two days ago during practice at JOAD I figured out something. Even though I start out my grip correctly and place my bow in my hand where it should be most of the time I am rolling my hand forward during the time when I am raising the bow so the my bow it pressing against the area of just muscle and skin between my thumb and forefinger instead of resting against the bone below my thumb. Once I caught this the stability of my sight picture has improved a lot and I have been hitting
the X more often. I still do not have the consistency I desire but this is progress and something I can fix.

I made it a point of making sure I was still hold my bow properly the rest of Tuesday JOAD and during Wednesday JOAD. I did find much to my dismay if I was not paying a lot of attention to this I would revert back to the improper grip.

Thursday night before league I was working of making sure I was gripping correctly. During league I shot 90 for the first three ends, then a 10, 9, 9 and on the fifth end a 9, 9, 9, all a half inch right above the 10 ring. I was baffled and raised my sight but walking back to the shooting line I realized I had let my grip go back to the wrong grip. I put my sight part the way back to where it had been and focused of using the proper grip and my score improved. I shot a 291 with 10 Xs and 11 tens. So converting the 11 tens to nines for US Archery scoring by subtracting 11 from 291 and I get 280 which would get me my JOAD Olympic Bronze pin.

I feel fortunate that I found this grip error and know that we all have to self coach ourselves some but do not believe it is very efficient. John, Leslie and Brian are all good but all are mostly interesting in working with the kids.  I really need to find a personal coach. I had high hopes for George "Griv" Ryals at ALC The Archery Learning Center but I have either email of messaged him five time and gotten no response. This has been most disappointing so I am planning to try to find someone else I can work with. I am surprised with how much trouble I have had finding someone to work with. Christine Harrelson seemed like she would have been great but was only interesting is occasionally letting me take a class from her, John, Brian and Leslie are all good but are very busy with all the kids. I know it is a youth program but there is an adult part of it and there is nothing else in the area I can train in. Now I try to work with George Ryals and just get ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment