Tuesday, December 27, 2016

to Christine
Do you think it would be a waste of my time to go to the
Lancaster Classic next month?

Christine Harrelson

12/27/16 (9 days ago)
to me
It's a great tournament.  What would you like to learn and accomplish by going?

to Christine
I would like to experience an archery tournament, I have no idea what they are like.

I know this one is one of the largest and therefor will be very different from whatever local ones I find to enter.

I would like to compete in whatever class would be appropriate for me - to get my feet wet. I may finish dead last but at least I would know something about what it is like.

I want to know if I can step up to the line and shoot with all those other archers just 18 inches apart.

When possible I would like to watch to the archers who made the cut and are competing for the next level.

I would like to see what the vendor area is like - to see what they are all pushing this year. 

I will have to do a little work to get ready - I have shot more than 60 arrows in a day but it was over several hours of time and I do not know how fast we will shot them.

Christine Harrelson

12/27/16 (9 days ago)
to me
In that case, the Classic can provide all those things.  It's a great tournament all around with wonderful people running it.  In fact, it's my favorite indoor shoot of the year!  I believe they go by NFAA shooting classes, so you'd be male freestyle, but I don't know if you would be considered a "senior" shooter due to age.  I feel like it's pretty young as far as I'm concerned, but I don't know exactly.  I'd give them a call at LAS to find out.  

In preparation you'll want to practice shooting the vertical 3 spot starting from top down.  You'll want to shoot with a timer running and get your three shots off in two minutes.  Xs count as 11 points at that tournament.  I suggest being able to shoot at least 50% more arrows than you'll shoot in a tournament and ideal is 100% more.  I'd also suggest you attend league night at NC Hunter Supply/FFA weekly so you can learn line etiquette, rules and scoring.  They'll be happy to help you. 

Hope this helps!

to Christine
Thank you. This does help a lot. As soon as I can know I can get the time off work I will register. 

Also thank you for the instructions for preparing to compete. I well begin them today.

to Christine
OK I have the time off.

I have a hotel room.

I have registered for the tournament as a Senior Open per the advice to the person I spoke with at LAS.

Thank you again - I was not sure you would think it was a good idea - I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment