Tuesday, April 17, 2018

NC Senior Games Archery Tournament Hillsboro Orange county NC

This was a different sort of tournament for me. I was shooting at the bottom of my age group of 65 to 69 on my compound bow with a sight and release. We were in a soccer field behind the Recreation Center in Hillsboro. It was cold, my car said it was 39° we we started at about 9AM. It was a 600 round with 4 ends of 5 arrows at 60 then 50 and lastly at 40 yards. We were shooting at 122mm target faces. I had never shot this face or this sort of event before. It was fun and interesting. there were four of us of each target so the ment 20 arrows each end. Much to my surprise there were no arrows destroyed just two fletching damaged, one of them was one of mine but it is an easy repair. I shot 553 out of 600 which was fair but not as good as I had hopped. It was however good enough for me to be first place in my division. There was wind and it was a bit of a factor but not to bad. My bow preformed well it did develop a sort of rattle but I isolated it to the upper cam and got a start wrench set from my bag, found and tighten a slightly loos bolt on the cam. Thanks to Brian from First Flight Archery I was able to shoot Sunday at 60, 50 and 40 yards and was therefore better prepared than I would have been otherwise also I got to check my sight tape for

errors and was able to dial them in quickly at the tournament. I did have one minor error. On my first arrow of the first practice round I shot under the target due to not resetting my sight from 20 yards to 60 yards from practicing at First Flight Archery at Monday night JOAD. My arrow hit the netting of a knocked down soccer goal and was undamaged and easy to find. There were about 18 of us there shooting, There were six compound bow archers and I think the rest were barebow, I may be wrong but I do not remember seeing any Olympic recurve archers there. There may have been recurve archers with sights but without stabilizers. It was interesting watching the barebow archers, some of them had to aim very high to shoot the distance. I am not sure I could do that. This was fun and I would do it again, it is sort of a shame we had to take off work to shoot it, I think more folks might shoot if it was on a weekend day.

No comments:

Post a Comment