Sunday, December 3, 2017

HNS Archery Championship Series #2 - Dec 3rd.

Sunday I shot the HNS Archery Championship Series #2 at 11250 Patterson Ave, Henrico, VA. They have a very nice shop and ranges. I found out that HNS stands for Huntin - N - Shack. It was a sort of small shoot with just five of us in the Master 60plus division. I like having folks to compete against just wish there were more. I shot the early 11AM line with two other Master 60plus archers, Rex and John. I was shooting well. I did make two mistakes well one was not so much as a mistake just something I had to do. In spite of the best practices knowledge about not changing any thing close to a tournament I replaced my scope lens going from one with a center dot and halo ring at 4x to a completely clean lens at 6x. I am shooting so often there was just not a good time to do it so I figured get her done. This did significantly change my sight picture. But I do like it I can easily see the center 10 ring and the X. Sight movement is also amplified but that was expected. I am not sure how much this may have hurt my archery and it may not have hurt it much. I was having some trouble with holding center at the beginning but this seemed to get easier as the tournament progressed. I replaced the Sight Wednesday at JOAD and shot a round with it before going to my Olympic for the second half of the evening - I am trying to get comfortable and proficient with the Factor and seems to make some progress Wednesday at 10 yard anyway. I have to shoot at 20 yards for pin night. The other this I did or did not do which was a major mistake on my part was to never practice to three spot vertical targets with only the inter ten ten ring. That is what we were shooting and I have almost never shot them in spite of the fact that First Flight Archery does have them available. I found them disconcerting to aim at they just looked wrong somehow. This is a problem that I will start fixing this week after I get my Olympic indoor 4 star pin.

I am really annoyed with myself. I had the Olympic Bronze Pin until my last arrow where I shot an 8. I have no idea why and I know everyone is going to say nerves but I felt no nerves I was just doing again what I had done all day and shoot for a 10. The shot felt normal and I had not idea it was not until I sat down and looked at my target trough my monocular scope. I almost fell off my chair. I was one up starting the end meaning I only need 27 to score 280 and I shot a 26. I will not let this bug me if I can get to that place once I can do it again and finish without the error. I shot a 278 and a 279 for a 557 not bad but not great either. I really believe the 6X lens will help me score more tens and I will master it over the next two weeks when I can shoot again for the Bronze.

This coming week I could not find anywhere to shoot so I am going to Frostbite JOAD Tournament at Bull Run Public Shooting Center, 7700 Bull Run Dr., Centreville, Virginia, 20121 to help Judge the event as a shadow judge of the main judge. I am looking forward to doing this and excited for my dayview as a judge. As far as I know no one at First Flight knows that I am a certified Judge but if any of our JOAD archery show up they will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment